Welcome to My Espresso Machine Reviews Site!
If you love espresso as much as I do then you may be planning to buy a new espresso machine. If so, and you are looking for some suggestions and recommendations, I can help. I have reviewed hundreds of espresso machines and I will share as much information as possible about what I think are the finest espresso machines available in each category, and at several price points. In addition, I will point you in the direction of the best values from the most reliable and trustworthy online retailers.
To begin, you will want to decide what kind of espresso machine suits your needs and budget the best. Most people choose between these four types of machines:
- A steam-driven espresso machine – These don’t really make true espresso. More like strong coffee. But they are the most affordable priced between $40 and $75.
- Electric pump-driven espresso machine – These machines make real espresso. Topped with thick, velvety créma. These machines can be further divided into two sub-types:
- Semi automatic espresso machine – You are in control of certain elements of the brewing process. Requires somewhat more skill. Priced between $200 and $1,200
- Super automatic espresso machine – Fill with roasted coffee beans and water and push a button. Making a perfect espresso is that easy. Priced between $1,200 and $3,000
Although they are a little more expensive I would recommend choosing a semi automatic espresso machine or super automatic espresso machine. If you know the difference between a real shot of espresso and a strong cup of coffee you will not be satisfied with a steam driven espresso machine. If you’d like to learn more about the different types of espresso machines, you can read more here.
Because there are so many different machines to choose from I have created a short list of what I feel are the best machines on the market.
My Recommended Espresso Machines
- Best Steam-Driven Espresso Machine – The cheapest alternative to real espresso. Just below $50!
- Best Budget Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine – Espresso machine under $100! Best for those on a tight budget.
- Best Value Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine – Great value and best buy for first entry level home espresso machine if you have the budget.
- Best Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine – The best semi-auto espresso machine that can easily outperform Starbucks.
- Best Budget Super Automatic Espresso Machine – Best for those on a tight budget and still want a super automatic.
- Best Value Super Automatic Espresso Machine – A good value and the best machine for cappuccino lovers.
- Best Super Automatic Espresso Machine – Press a few buttons and you’ll have great espresso!
Important: Be sure to look at the bottom of each espresso machine reviews detail page in my blog for my recommendation as to where you will find the best online bargain from the most reliable, trustworthy and safe Internet retailer.
There are a few things that determine whether an espresso machine is good, and they are:
- Made by a reputable manufacturer
- Quality design and construction
- Ease of use
- Quick heating boilers
- Double boiler system
- Easy access to brew group and reservoir
- Easy to clean
- Sturdy and replaceable parts
If you focus on these major product features you will be able to choose a very good espresso machine. Beware that you may find “inexpensive” machines that appear to offer the same features as a more expensive machines. In the end these machines turn out to be of much lesser quality and are problematic. No machine is perfect, but my recommended machines will include many, if not all of the above features.
To understand more about the features above, click here to go to my guide on How to Choose the Best Espresso Machine.
Accessories You Might Need
If you decide to get a semi automatic espresso machine, then you will need to purchase a coffee bean grinder. Bean grinders aren’t built into the semi automatic machines like they are with super automatic espresso machines. Check out my recommendations of best coffee grinders from the list below if you need a coffee grinder too.
Don’t scrimp when it comes time to buy a coffee grinder. One of the secrets to creating a great espresso is to have a good grinder. Poorly ground coffee beans will not produce the same taste of a Starbucks espresso shot, and the shots may taste excessively bitter. Very typically the problem is we haven’t used a good quality bean grinder. And pre-ground coffee, although it will work, will never taste as good as fresh grinding your own coffee beans using a good quality coffee bean coffee grinder. If you want to make great espresso shots then start with a great grinder!
If you are wondering what is the difference between burr and blade coffee grinders, check out this guide.
- Best Blade Coffee Grinder – Krups Fast Touch 203
- Best Budget Burr Coffee Grinder – Capresso 560.01 Infinity
- Best Burr Coffee Grinder – Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Top Rated / Best Selling Espresso Machines
- Kalorik EXP25022 – Best steam-driven espresso machine. Very cheap and makes a reasonable coffee close to real espresso.
- Rancilio Silvia – Best semi-automatic and best espresso machine overall. (top-performing machine for the home barista!)
- Gaggia Classic – More affordable semi automatic than Rancilio. Great value! (Recommended as entry level machine.)
- DeLonghi EC155 – Best for those on a limited budget but who desire a decent and authentic espresso.
- Gaggia Platinum Vision – Best super automatic espresso machine. Press a few buttons and give it a minute. Great espresso.
- DeLonghi ESAM3300 – Ideal for cappuccino lovers. Great value for a super automatic espresso machine!
- Gaggia Titanium – A fine super automatic espresso machine for the smaller budget.